Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Mom and Dementia



A few of you that I sent my blog address to have asked about my mom. Well, she is doing great! She's outlived two husbands, and is married to a third man named Wendell Chapman. He is a great man and we are all quite fond of him. Mom had some physical difficulties earlier this year, but she has overcome those and now her only struggle is her dementia. Some days she is perfectly lucid and other days I just have to laugh with her or I cry. Some of the things she comes up with are great. A few months ago when I went to visit her, I noticed that her hair wasn't quite up to par. I asked her if she'd combed her hair that day and she replied, "Yes." I asked if she'd curled it, or what and she answered, rather indignantly, "I did it in the microwave." This one caught me a little off guard, so I questioned her a little further, "How did you do that?" She replied, acting a little disgusted at my stupidity, "I pushed the buttons!" So, there you have it. Microwave hair do's. Who'd have known? Obviously, she did NOT do her hair in the microwave, but for that brief moment, she thought she did. Bless her heart. She's a sweetheart and I'm just glad she's close by so I can go see her 4-5 times a week. Here's a picture of her and another of her and Wendell. Not bad for 84 and 91 years old! Don't you just love that hat on Wendell?

3 comments:

Kristen Taylor said...

Hey guys!! We are excited to see you in a few weeks! We have a blog that I just started too. Here is the link:

http://christaylorfamily.blogspot.com/

Tierney said...

I love the microwave story! It is one of my favorites!

Jill and Paul said...

hey mel and chris! thanks for letting miss maya swim in your "fwimmy-poo" maya loved it and i loved visiting with yall!